Have you thought about a safer way to have a warm, crackling fire in your camping area? Smokey Bear has given seven tips for you and your parents to follow when you want a campfire. Always ask a parent to help you when around a fire because fires can be dangerous.
- Dig a small pit away from overhanging branches. Most parks have campfire pits ready and waiting for you.
- Circle the pit with rocks or be sure it already has a metal fire ring.
- Clear a five-foot area around the pit down to the soil.
- Keep a bucket of water and a shovel nearby.
- Stack extra wood upwind and away from the fire.
- After lighting, do not discard the match until it is cold.
- Never leave a campfire unattended, not even for a minute.