- Provide “careful adult supervision and proper safety measures” for trampolines used for physical education, competitive gymnastics, diving training and similar activities.
- Only one person should use a trampoline at any time.
- A spotter should be present when someone is jumping.
- Somersaults or high-risk maneuvers should only be performed with proper use of protective equipment, such as a harness.
- Supporting bars, strings and surrounding landing surfaces should have adequate protective padding.
- Equipment should be checked regularly for safety conditions.
- Trampoline ladders should be removed after use to prevent unsupervised access by young children.
Around 20 percent of injuries to the spinal cord caused by trampoline use are due to jumpers bumping into each other, trying to do stunts, falling off the trampoline or falling onto the frame or springs of the trampoline, reports BrainandSpinalCord.org.