- DON’T stand above the second step from the top of a stepladder or the fourth rung from the top of an extension ladder.
- DON’T climb a closed stepladder.
- DON’T climb on the back of a stepladder.
- DON’T stand or sit on a stepladder top or pail shelf.
- DON’T climb a ladder if you are not physically and mentally up to the task.
- DON’T place the base of an extension ladder too close to or too far away from the building.
- DON’T over-reach, lean to one side or try to move a ladder while on it. Climb down and then reposition the ladder closer to your work.
- DON’T exceed the maximum load capacity or duty rating of a ladder.
- DON’T permit more than one person on a single-sided stepladder or an extension ladder.
via Werner Ladder DOs and DON’Ts.