What Puts Someone at Risk for Falling?
There can be problems in the environment, such as:
- Poor lighting
- Stairs that may be too steep or not in good repair
- Floor surfaces that are uneven—for example, moving from a hardwood floor to a carpet
- Outside surfaces that are uneven—for example, a sidewalk
Falls can also be caused by health issues, such as:
- Balance, hearing, or vision changes
- Muscle weakness or numbness
- Normal aging
- A fall in the past
- Stroke, Parkinson’s disease, arthritis, or other problems
- Some medications
- A history of falls
via Preventing Falls.