Workplace injuries are preventable. Here are a few tips to help you stay safe at work.
- If you are asked to do a task that you think is unsafe – you have the right to say NO and refuse to do the work.
- Get some training and learn how to identify hazards, manage risks and do the job safely before you start.
- Ask your supervisor to watch and check that you are doing the job the right way.
- Speak up and let supervisors know if you think a task is too dangerous or difficult for you.
- Ask questions and check with supervisors and co-workers when you aren’t sure or can’t remember how to do a job safely.
- Learn what to do and where to get help in an emergency.
- Always follow the safety rules and procedures.
- Always wear any personal protective equipment provided by your employer.
- Report all injuries (minor or major), occupational health & safety incidents and near misses.
- Look out for and report hazards.
- Keep an eye on your co-workers, especially if they are new to the workplace and don’t know all the occupational health & safety issues.
- Try to get a good night’s rest before heading into work. Feeling tired can lead to dangerous mistakes.
- If you have a safety concern, talk with more experienced workers such as supervisors, co-workers or your family to get some advice.
via Tips to stay safe at work.