The holidays are officially here and the season for giving begins. It’s a wonderful time of year, but with all the activities, excitement and family obligations taking place at once, it’s easy to feel overwhelmed, stressed and even a tad bit gloomy. Here are 8 simple steps to relax, let go and really enjoy a truly happy holiday!
- Focus on your connections. This holiday, reflect on the meaning and closeness of your relationships. It’s not the amount of money you spend, but how much love and joy you share that will create the quality of the season. The beautifully wrapped presents and bows are far less important than the people in your life.
- Entertaining? Make a time line and list. Being organized and prepared will save you from a lot of stress hormones. Prioritize and delegate tasks when you can. Enlist the help of professionals if need be (cleaning? catering?).
- Keep it simple. The food doesn’t have to be fancy and you don’t have to spend a small fortune on decorations. A fire in the fireplace can set the mood and fresh flowers or greens are beautiful anywhere in the house. The people make the party.
- Involve the whole family in your holiday planning and preparation. Children love to be a part of the process. Let them help with frosting cookies, making place cards, decorating your home or holiday table. Let go of perfection and have fun!
- Get plenty of sleep and eat healthy foods. Sleep may seem like an indulgence this time of year, but it is essential to good health and a positive holiday outlook. Rest, slow-down and take time to reflect. There will be plenty of treats and sweets – eat healthy meals to counteract the unhealthy choices.
- Let go and go with the flow. If you’re overwhelmed, imagine what would happen if you didn’t do “it”. What is the worst case scenario? Not sending your holiday cards on time probably won’t matter in the long run.
- Give out of joy vs. obligation. Don’t stress your budget. Be creative and come from your heart. It makes the gift much more meaningful.
- Perform a small act of kindness without expecting anything in return. A smile will spread some holiday cheer.