Carbon Monoxide is odorless, colorless, tasteless and can be deadly. The best way to protect your family is with a Carbon Monoxide detector. Carbon Monoxide detectors or alarms can be purchased at hardware stores and many grocery stores. Be sure to test alarms regularly and replace batteries often.
Prevent Carbon Monoxide
- Do have your heating system, water heater and any other gas, oil, or coal burning appliances serviced by a qualified technician every year.
- Do install a battery operated or battery back-up CO detector in your home and check or replace the battery when you change the time on your clocks each spring and fall. If the detector sounds, leave your home immediately and call 911.
- Do seek prompt medical attention if you suspect CO poisoning and are feeling dizzy, light-headed, or nauseous.
- Don’t use a generator, charcoal grill, camp stove, or other gasoline or charcoal-burning device inside your home, basement, garage or near a window.
- Don’t run a car or truck inside a garage attached to your house, even if you leave the door open.
- Don’t burn anything in a stove or fireplace that isn’t vented.
- Don’t heat your house with a gas oven.
If you suspect CO poisoning and you or anyone in your family are experiencing dizziness, nausea, lightheadedness, vomiting, headache and confusion, you should immediately:
- Get everyone (pets, too!) out of the house and into the fresh air.
- Call 911 for immediate medical help.
- Do not re-enter the house under any circumstance until help has arrived, your house has been investigated and the problem corrected.
- Call a qualified contractor or your gas utility to have your appliances checked.