Did You Know?
- The coin-sized batteries children swallow come from many devices, most often mini remote controls. Other places you may find them are: singing greeting cards, watches, bathroom scales and flameless candles.
- It takes as little as two hours to cause severe burns once a coin-sized button battery has been swallowed.
- Once burning begins, damage can continue even after the battery is removed.
- Kids can still breathe with the button battery in their throats. It may not be obvious at first that something is wrong.
- Repairing the damage is painful and can require multiple surgeries.
- The batteries can become lodged in the throat, burning the esophagus.
- Each year, about 3,500 button battery swallowing cases are reported to U.S. poison control centers.