Button Battery Safety

Button batteryButton batteries are dangerous to kids, especially toddlers, and cause severe injuries when swallowed.

Did You Know?

  • The coin-sized batteries children swallow come from many devices, most often mini remote controls.  Other places you may find them are: singing greeting cards, watches, bathroom scales and flameless candles.
  • It takes as little as two hours to cause severe burns once a coin-sized button battery has been swallowed.
  • Once burning begins, damage can continue even after the battery is removed.
  • Kids can still breathe with the button battery in their throats. It may not be obvious at first that something is wrong.
  • Repairing the damage is painful and can require multiple surgeries.
  • The batteries can become lodged in the throat, burning the esophagus.
  • Each year, about 3,500 button battery swallowing cases are reported to U.S. poison control centers.

via Button Battery Safety.